From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:34:13 -0500
Deb Fuller's point that children/family gallery activities help keep the
kids busy is well-taken.  Our education staff created "scavenger hunt"
laminated handouts with a grid of image details from various works in
the collection.  The kids who take up the activity are focused, engaged,
and, frankly, well-behaved.  They stay longer, visit every gallery, and
often want to stay longer than their parents do.  It's an easy,
inexpensive way to help parents and children enjoy and really see the
works in the museum.

Someone else mentioned that children are not the only visitors engaging
in disruptive behavior, and I agree completely.  It's easy to snark on
children and "bad parenting," and maybe it's satisfying to some, but I'd
rather have an ignorant child in the museum than a disruptive adult.
Children are accustomed to taking direction, and most are easily
re-directed.  Disruptive adults can be much more difficult to handle,
and they should know better.  The kids obviously *don't* know better,
but that can be rectified.

In our community, the museum was a forbidding and elitist place until
the 1970s or 1980s.  Today we do everything we can to bring as many
school-children here as possible.  Admission is free and we have an
"adopt-a-bus fund" that provides bus expenses for school field trips.
Older adults in town will tell me that they haven't been in the museum
in decades, or have never been, but when I meet natives under 30, they
have fond memories of the museum and have been here multiple times.
They do not find us intimidating because they grew up knowing they were
welcome here.  If you get kids to buy into the museum as part of the
community, they'll grow up to be adults who recognize the value of the
museum.

--
Jill R. Chancey, PhD
Curator