From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:22:11 -0700
Greetings all:

     I'm unafraid to post on the subject, despite not having children.
After all, being a parent is just one of many life choices we make as
individuals apart from pursuing careers in museums.  Though I have no
children, I have people and passions that occupy my time beyond work.
Sometimes pleasantly, sometimes not.
     [For those parents who feel like writing "But having kids is
different," don't write it because it's not as different as you think.  I'm
not belittling parenting; rather, I'm preventing the belittling of those of
us who have chosen - from a broad range of reasons - not to be parents.]
     Ultimately, the question of balance is significant – especially in a
field where there’s almost more work to do than hands to do it.

     Job descriptions should be clear and realistic about expectations.  But
you also have to be clear and realistic about what you can handle.  The job
shouldn't have to change based on a staff member's personal/home situation .
. . married with kids or single without kids should make no difference to
the job description.  Similarly, the person shouldn't have to change their
personal life to accommodate a job (unless they know in advance the job they
applied for and accepted will require change to their personal life).
     If it's too much work for one person, it's simply too much.  Either
reduce the amount of work; reduce your expectations of "completeness";
delegate to your colleagues (paid or unpaid) if/when appropriate; push your
board to add to the staff; encourage your board to lend a hand; etc.
     Also, attendance at some events is optional, sometimes not optional.
When "optional," make an honest decision (being fair to yourself) based on
your desire, energy, interest, etc. to attend.  If you'd rather enjoy a
night out on the town, soak in a bubble bath, go for a walk with your kids
in the park, clean the house -- DO IT!

I’ve found the following Mayo Clinic web page is filled with sage advice
(about personal life):
	http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/work-life-balance/WL00056

For working moms, take a look at:
	http://www.bluesuitmom.com/

"Beating the Workload Blues" (from an ejournal, Women in Natural Resources)
	http://www.cnr.uidaho.edu/winr/beckworkload.htm

Of course, just as medicine is only effective if you take it, sage advice is
only sage if it works for you.  One thing's for certain: If you don't set
limits/priorities, your situation will remain the same . . . or get worse.

Best wishes, sincerely,

Jay Heuman
Curator of Education
Salt Lake Art Center