From:
human being <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:07:48 -0500
  Hello Matt, this sounds very interesting. The existing
  digital frames appear to have many issues related to
  their practical use- and yet how can digital content be
  displayed 'on a screen' that is affordable and of quality
  imagery, such as with a slideshow or even audio-video
  aspects of a computer screen? This appears to be what
  the higher-end digital frames aim to do, be a laptop screen
  without the laptop. The part that intrigues me is that there
  is a lot of content which does not require a full computer,
  even a hidden computer, and could be run by a chip in
  a blackbox, as AV-media (movie, sounds, or photographic
  or graphic imagery in slideshows). The interaction, then,
  may be passive (not needing to interface with a computer)
  in a way and yet the display may be active (more than a
  video playing on a TV, possibly, but what content would
  this be, flash-animations?). The question of showcasing
  1,000 works of digital artworks and artifacts in a single
  frame is intriguing in that digital media can compress
  the space needed for the screen display. Yet things do
  not seem 'there' yet, to make it affordable and easy to do.
  I've been reading reviews about TV-presentation systems
  like the SanDisk Digital Photo Viewer, which takes smart-
  media or compact flash and puts it into a TV screen system.
  Yet, are there any such devices that could run a VGA-based
  monitor or do these require computers to drive the displays
  and cannot be run without a computer-- I do not know, only
  that to show computer based works on a TV, as a display,
  confuses their relationship aesthetically, it would seem.
  If anyone has any ideas how to present information from
  one of these TV photo viewers straight-to-a-VGA-monitor,
  please e-mail me with any details. Brian