From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 1994 21:26:19 -0700
My thanks to Robert Dahl for, what I hope is, bringing this thread to a
meaningful conclusion.

Our primary function, as curators and conservators, as it seems to me, is
to insure that what survives to our time will survive to be used and
interpreted by those who come after.

Sometimes, this will require treatments which will hinder the efforts of
those who come after.

The alternative is to bury everything.  If we bury everything, none of us
will have anything to do and no one will pay us to do nothing, whether we
work for a nfp or a fp.

Smiling Jack
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR