From:
Terry Vidal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:59:28 -0500
On Tuesday I sent a message (below) to the list hoping to generate
discussion. Much to my chagrin it has not been forthcoming. I thank
Dennis Kois for his timely and insightful reply, but I am resubmitting
my post to emphasize my urgency and concern about this matter.

Dennis, FYI and as food for thought (FFT), I crunched some numbers.
Using your 23 meg TIFF file example for inspiration I did a few
experiments. Here are the results:

Using a 200 mhz PC with 98K RAM running Windows 95.

I used a 24 meg TIFF 600 dpi image file.
It compressed to a 5 meg JPEG.

The TIFF took 45 seconds to load.
The JPEG took 12 seconds to load.

A 660 meg CD-R will hold 27 files @ 24 meg
A 660 meg CD-R will hold 132 files @ 5 meg
Bulk price for a CD-R is ~ $.50

A database with 50,000 records each requiring an image -
would require 1852 CD's if TIFF format is adopted;
would require 379 CD's if JPEG format is adopted.
A savings of $736.50 on CD's.

For the sake of argument, time is money for staff, scholars or anyone
else accessing the master images. @ $5.65/hr it would cost a person
$3,531.25 to access the TIFF files vs. $941.67 to access the JPEG's, a
difference of $2,589.58.

This translates to a TIFF project exceeding a JPEG project by almost
400% in costs, regardless of project size. I do not know enough about
high resolution printers to offer comment on that subject. But your
comment begs the question, should I be producing images at 1200 DPI or
greater? My research indicates that scanning printed material beyond the
DPI of the original is a waste, but how does that relate to imaging of
non-printed mediums. (When I begin the imaging process I expect to do it
at 1200 dpi minimum, scanning printed material is a different story).

Using the AMNH examples and conclusions, with respect to enlargements,
the use lossy compression was negligible.

I am not seeking a grant to do this project. But if I do not follow the
de facto museum 'standard' of using TIFF's am I jeopardizing future
grants or accreditation.