From:
Trackless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 20:21:50 -0500
I have just retired from a library job that was involved in setting up new
centers in educational institutions in Russia and the Baltic nations. I
mention this because of the comments about librarians pay -- I was a
member of the senior foreign service and got over $100,000 -- I started in
govt work at 17,000 - in 1971 and because I have been looking to find a
good challenging volunteer job in museums in the Washington area. I have
never worked in an archive or museum, and would (1) like to work as a
volunteer and (2) use that experience to find a paying job albeit low pay.
I mention all this partly because I know that some positions, possibly the
position we are all discussing are low-paying because the institution can
attract retired individuals with talents they can use and make use of them
inexpensively. For example, the Monterey Historical Society ( I think it
is) has a retired Naval officer working there.  This does not alter the
fact that museum work appears to be very pay.  There are compensations,
however, doing something you enjoy; painters and crafts people, most
theater people, many musicans, most writers, could make more working for
the local fire department. They don't because their time is too valuable
to waste as jobs that do not interest them. There is also the altruistic
motivation; I don't think those working in refugee camps in Asia, Peace
Corps volunteers, lots of librarians and teachers do it all for the Yankee
Dollar. However, it is best to go into a profession with your eyes wide
open; realizing what your motivations are for a career. As a librarian, I
have noticed that there have always been ads for jobs advertisted  with
really terrible salaries. Assume we all know that the best museum jobs or
library jobs are not going to be listed anywhere but in the major
electronic or paper journals of our professions. No need. Don Hausrath