From:
Laurie Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 16:28:41 -0400
Our historic house museum used to charge a nominal admission until 2001.  It was something like $3 for adults, $2 for seniors/AAA/trolley riders, free for children, free for other museum workers/volunteers, free for travel industry, etc.  With all the discounts, our admission fees never really added up to much--certainly nothing that can sustain a museum.  After September 11, 2001, the  trustees decided to make the museum free.  Instead, we put out a donation box with a sign that says "Donations gratefully accepted".  It proved to be a very good decision: Our attendance tripled, and donations were almost as consistent as when we charged a fee.  We still operate this way, and it's working very well.  The donation box is near the door--in a place where visitors pass as they enter and as they leave through the same door.  Some put money in at the beginning of the tour, but many more actually put money in as they leave, as sort of an acknowledgement that their tour was worth a small (or sometimes very generous) donation.

As far as groups go, we request $1 per person donation just for our trouble of arranging for the tour.  If the group can't pay (school or otherwise), we don't bother.  Most (bus) tour groups are pleased that they're only paying a dollar per person and are happy to pay.

The only problem with this arrangement is that we have nothing to offer potential "members."  We do not have any sort of membership, and because all of our programs are free and our tours are free and we have no gift shop, there appear to be no tangible benefits to starting a membership program here. (aside, of course, from the good feeling you get from supporting a worthwhile institution)  There's the rub!

Laurie Austin
Site Manager
Stephen Phillips Trust House
34 Chestnut St.