From:
Andy Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:40:10 -0400
> >I'm curious.  Do these "speakouts" include every party & politico?  Do you
> >get a bit queasy about photo-ops when the American Nazi Party shows up?
>
> Simple -- Invite only the sanctioned and majority parties.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple, as we find out every time a third
party or fringe party candidate wants to take part in a debate.

Sometimes it's even more complicated; for example, in a primary where you
have a lot of candidates, all of the same party, but some with only one
one or two percent support in the polls.  That happened to Alan Keyes just
this year -- he was denied a place on the podium (I think in South
Carolina) even though he was on the ballot as a Republican in the primary.

I guess the only advice for a museum that finds itself in this situation
is to get legal guidance.

Andy Finch
AAM Government Affairs