From:
Scott Reuter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:31:09 GMT
Along with what Mr. Grunder suggests here, it is also a good idea to
examine showcase materials in the exhibit environment.
For example, if a showcase contains some plywood that is not properly
sealed (the best thing to use for this is a polyethylene/aluminum laminate
over the wood.), whatever scavengers you put in the case will be wasted on
pollutants from the wood.
Still waiting to see some details from the original poster on the actual
showcases we are trying to discuss.

Best Regards,
Scott Reuter

In article <[log in to unmask]>, Henry Grunder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Obviously not everyone can have closed cases, with their own
> microclimates. If the design, then, admits (or even encourages,
> as with fans) interchange of air with the surrounding
> environment, I would suggest not only incorporating "molecular
> sieve" material into the interior installation, but also
> placement of a material such as Purafil's P-800 medium, in thin
> section, over the locations of ingress - vent holes, gaps in
> casework, etc. While this material is described as "utilizing
> the chemisorbent technology of potassium
> permanganate-impregnated activated alumina," and is not
> represented or rated for particulate entrapment, its structure
> suggests that it will also have such a function.
> IMHO
> Henry Grunder
> Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
> The Library of Virginia

Exhibit Safety Services - Museum quality earthquake protection for works of art
and antiques - http://home.earthlink.net/~reuter/