From:
Anne M Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:35:20 CST
Hi folks,

We are reevaluating our policies for copying photographic materials, and
I am hoping some folks could send me copies of their photo use policies.

Specifically, how do you respond to requests to get/make digital copies
of images in your holdings?  The feeling at my office is that we risk
losing control totally over images if we allow scanning.  Yes, someone
can take a hard-copy reprint and scan it on their own, but at least the
copy we are giving/selling them has our i.d. and use notice on the back.

A little background -- we are a private, non-profit history museum.  At
this time our research collections are open by appointment and 3-4 times
per _month_ when we have a volunteer assistant in the archives.  We do
not have extensive manuscript holdings, but do have a nice photograph
collection.

I'd like to see policies from _similar_ institutions, if available.  I
have been able to pick up policies from larger institutions and/or
institutions that have begun an extensive digitization project, but their
concerns are different from ours.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  If you want to send the information
to me directly, that is fine.  If I receive off-line answers, I will
summarize for the list.  (Yes, I know people often say that, but I will
_do_ it.)

Thanks,

Anne M. Baker

The History Museum for Springfield-Greene County
830 Boonville Ave.
Springfield, MO  65804
417 - 864-2019 (FAX)
[log in to unmask]   (NOTE:  My juno.com address cannot
handle attachments.  Please send any attachments to this address.)

Museum-L" (without the quotes).