From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 17:30:50 -0500
At 12:11 AM 1/7/97 GMT, you wrote:
>does anyone out there know anything about or have any opinions on the
>Master of Arts Administration degree...  the one i'm interested in is at
>Univ. of New Orleans... do you know of any other places this degree is
>offered.. and how reputable/valuable is it compared to museum studies.

Depends on the program--different programs stress different things.  At the
time I was considering my graduate options, Columbia's Art Admin degree was
indistinguishable from the M.B.A. for the first year--then it diverged in
the second year.  A lot of Art Admin. programs assume you are wanting to
manage a symphony or theater, or work for a local arts agency, so if this is
not your goal you may not get what you want.  In general, this degree seems
to be more business-oriented.

I have two friends who highly recommend the program at Illinois State
University at Springfield (formerly Sangamon State University)--however, the
official name of the program is something like M.A. in Community Arts
Management, which may not be what is required for the museum field.  One of
these friends is working as the Director of Marketing and Development at the
Art Center, the other is Community Relations Director at the Indianapolis
Opera.  Make your own judgement.

Julia Muney Moore
Indianapolis Art Center