Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:35:47 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   "I love reading Global Museum. I look forward to the articles every
week. The information keeps me informed about what is going on in the museum
community and urges me to explore museums and exhibits online that I may
have never known about. Thanks!" - User Feedback   ***

The international headlines (FOR THE FULL STORY VISIT THE WEBSITE at this
address  http://www.globalmuseum.org  and click on the news links) in this
week's edition include:

**  Turkey Lobbies Museums Around World to Return Artifacts
Turkey's minister of culture recently opened a new archeological museum in
the western city of Izmir. Ertugrul Gunay is the architect of a museum
revolution in the country aiming to harness Turkey's rich heritage

**  Lights this way: Neon Museum opening set
The La Concha embodies the era before the Strip become dominated by large
corporations and video walls, with its distinctive clamshell shape dating
back to 1961

**  World record as message in bottle found after 98 years near Shetland
The drift bottle - containing a postcard which promised a reward of six
pence to the finder - was released in June 1914 by Captain CH Brown of the
Glasgow School of Navigation

****  HAPPY TRAVELERS - BEST FARES & DEALS FOR 2012! ****
MUSEUM-TRAVELLER.COM  -  Global Museum's Travel Service For Business and
Pleasure - the  leading provider of online museum travel, established in
1998.
40,000 hotels in over 8,000 cities worldwide. Group Reservations.Interactive
Map with the world's top festivals and events.
CLICK HERE http://www.museum-traveller.com - Use IE browser - Airfares, Car
Rentals, Accommodation, Destination Guides, Condo's and  Cruises!
Provider is EXPEDIA, a member of I.A.T.A.

**  Secret Life Of. gives history the TMZ treatment
If you think Kim Kardashian's 224 pairs of Christian Louboutin shoes are
excessive, consider Elizabeth I: the Tudor diva had 628 pieces of jewellery
and historians catalogued a wardrobe of more than 2,000 dresses decorated
with pearls and embroidery

**  New font for Rijksmuseum rebrand
The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam has been radically rebranded in time for the
long awaited reopening of the museum in April next year, with a jaunty new
house style for its catalogues, signage, paper and posters

**  David Bowie Denies Involvement in British Exhibition of His Clothing
As if it weren't bad enough that his song "Life on Mars" was not, in fact,
the first song broadcast from Mars, David Bowie has briefly resurfaced on
Earth to say that he is not involved in a coming exhibition of his fashion
and costumes at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London

**  To Keep Inventor's Flame Bright, Fans Return to His Workshop
Nikola Tesla electrified the world with alternating current, then slipped
into obscurity, dying penniless in 1943 on the 33rd floor of the New Yorker
Hotel in Manhattan

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 1,175?
Now on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social Network - Meet
& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum, Join A Group.
Become one of our first 1200 members.  Join Today At
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

**  Ancient stones revealed on tapestry
The cleaning of an Elizabethan tapestry map has revealed what may be the
earliest depiction of the Rollright Stones, a series of Neolithic and Bronze
Age megaliths in the English Midlands

**  Spare Parts London: Making art from old prosthetic limbs
"I was cleaning my home and I found two old legs in my cupboard," said
Australian curator Sutton, a below-the-knee amputee. "I thought it was a bit
crazy to keep hoarding my legs."

**  Japanese museums unveil hands-on exhibits
At an exhibition titled Experience Manga Through Science, a visitor stopped
at a section dedicated to Doraemon, being allured by one of the cat-like
robot's gadgets that is on display

**  Why a Fancy Art Museum Is Curating a Collection of Cat Videos
The videos that will be screened for crowds on the Walker's Open Field event
space have been culled from submissions collected, appropriately, by members
of the public

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum
85,114 Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 2,840 Followers worldwide
and growing fast

**  Virtual museum aims to catalogue public art around the world
Users are invited to upload images of anything they think counts as "public
art" - from the hastiest graffiti tag to the grandest baroque fountain - and
tag each with a location, creating a navigable, crowdsourced map

**  Cold War museum plan prompts row over Berlin's past
More than two decades after the fall of the Berlin Wall, differences over
how to represent the Cold War past are hampering plans to build a new museum
at the former Checkpoint Charlie border crossing

**  Belgian royal museum will check issue of "Macedonian medieval
manuscripts" exhibition
The scientific director of the Royal Museum of Mariemont will check the
issue of the exhibition "Macedonian medieval manuscript richness," which
presents Bulgarian medieval manuscripts

**  Neil Armstrong remembered at Air & Space Museum in San Diego
On Saturday, the Balboa Park museum displayed a painted portrait of
Armstrong at the center of the main hallway, along with space capsules and
models of the spacecraft Armstrong flew and landed on the moon

Become a Facebook Fan -  Join 1,956 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

**  Neues Museum in Berlin show to mark centenary of Egypt's Queen Nefertiti
find
Berlin is to honor the centenary of the discovery of a famed bust of Egypt's
Queen Nefertiti - one of the city's top tourist attractions - with an
exhibition of works from the Amarna site where it was found

**  Museum scientists find three prehistoric tiny bugs in what is Earth's
oldest bug trap
They are about 230 million years old, which puts them in the Triassic time
period, and about 100 million years older than what had been the previously
known oldest critters trapped in fossilized tree resin, or amber

**  Orhan Pamuk on His Museum of Innocence in Istanbul
The museums I visited in my childhood - not just in Istanbul but even in
Paris, where I first went in 1959 - were joyless places infused with the
atmosphere of a government office

**  Cup Cakes At Ten Paces
An upscale cupcake vendor has thrown in the icing as another victim of the
food-cart wars raging in front of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy! 404 Pins, 101
Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

**  Museum of erotic art attacked in Moscow
A group of conservative Christian activists have continued their spell of
attacks on the Museum of Erotic Art in Moscow, the museum administration
said

**  Paul McCartney put his soul into restoring label's historic piano
In town for a concert last summer, Paul McCartney made his first-ever visit
to Detroit's Motown Museum, the legendary two-story "Hitsville USA" building
where a generation's worth of musical gems were created

**  Telling Missouri's Stories
The 2012 MAMA/MHC Joint Conference

Add Us To Your Google+ Circle - 252 in circles so far -
https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

**  Archiving the Arts:addressing preservation in the creative process
Archiving the Arts unlocks dialogue concerning preventive preservation, the
creative process, and where the two concepts intersect.

**  Free and Unfettered: Chinese Paintings and Calligraphy by Au Ho-nien
Hong Kong Heritage Museum

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
PINTEREST PINS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, PODCASTS, HOT JOB TIPS, great people
posting their RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable WORLD TRAVEL, the GM Social
Network, Museum Online Document Store, Podcasts, Museum Accredited Courses,
Products & Services.

http://www.globalmuseum.org     First published on the Web in 1998 and going
strong!