From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:41:44 -0400
Good Morning,
Having been in the museum business for over 30 years, working in a variety
of different kinds of museums, it is my humble opinion that there is no
right/wrong responses to the "experience vs. degree" or "best graduate
program vs. not-so-best graduate program" or the "degree vs. certificate"
conundrums.  It boils down to what particular set of knowledge, skills, and
abilities (KSAs) does the employer need the applicant to possess.....to do
the job (and the work).  Sometimes the KSAs require a very specific set of
on-the-job experiences; and sometimes the KSAs are better met by someone
with a specific set of academic credentials......and sometimes the job/work
requires both.  These employer issues are further blurred by the applicant
having the "right attitude" and will the applicant "fit the team?"  Every
job is different and every employer sees every job (and applicant)
differently......that's why it is a conundrum, or should I say,....a
mystery.
Like I tell my kids, "Sometimes questions don't have answers."
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs and Interim Director of Museums
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, Tennessee
www.memphismuseums.org