From:
Bernard Clist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 19:33:04 +0200
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Bernard Clist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cultural heritage in danger
>
>We have been talking from time to time amongst museum professionals and
archaeologists alike about Cultural Resources Management and the management
of the integrety of museum collections.
>A few recent examples, not talked about on CNN.
>"Albania.: The museum and the site of Butrint, the latter part of the World
Heritage List, have been plundered and turned upside down due  to social
unrest in the country. A greek woman archaeologist who is in charge of
excavations on the site, has been trying for the past weeks to get
protection  measures into force and so to prevent similar problems on other
major archaeological sites in the country" (April AFP dispatch = french
press agency; my translation).
>Everybody remembers what happened in Rwanda with the change of regime. What
about the National Museum in Butare built by the belgians and opened in
September 1989, and its 8,907 pieces (1993 figure) ?  What about its 35
strong staff, Tutsis and Hutus ?
>In neighbouring Zaïre Kabila's troops have taken over the major town of
Lubumbashi in Shaba Region. What is the situation of the Lubumbashi National
Museum, second museum in this huge country ? And what is going to happen to
the Institut des Musees Nationaux central facilities in Kinshasa and its
50,000 + collection with the coming change of regime ?