From:
Perian Sully <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 16:07:14 -0700
Dear Trenden:

I asked this question a long time ago on another listserv and absolutely
did not come up with a standard (so if someone has one, I'd love to hear
about it!). So, I made my own:

10th Century BCE = 1000-901 BCE
9th Century BCE = 900-801 BCE
.
.
.
1st Century BCE = 100-1 BCE

1st Century CE = 1-100 CE
2nd Century CE = 101-200 CE
.
.
.
12th Century CE = 1101-1200 CE
13th Century CE = 1201-1300 CE
etc.

Objects dated after 1000 CE to 1600 CE ---- ca. 1200 = 1000 - 1400
(range buffer of 200 years, CE designation drops)

Objects dated between 1600 to 1800 ---- ca. 1750 = 1650 - 1850 (range
buffer of 100 years)

Objects dated between 1800-1950 ---- ca. 1850 = 1825 - 1875 (range
buffer of 25 years)

Objects dated after 1950 to the present ---- ca. 1980 = 1975-1985 (range
buffer of 5 years)

ca. 1980's = 1980-1989

early 20th Century = 1901-1950

mid 20th Century = 1925-1975

late 20th Century = 1950-2000

Hope this helps!

Perian Sully
Collection Information and New Media Coordinator
Judah L. Magnes Museum