From:
Jennifer Trant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 10:21:53 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 08:54:32 EST
From: Clive Phillpot <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list ARLIS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: earthquake aftermath at the Getty Center

To:  ARLIS-L
Fr:  Anne-Mieke Halbrooke/Clive Phillpot MoMA NYC bm.mod
Re:  Getty Center - aftermath
Not having heard anything about our colleagues at the Getty Center
on arlis-l, I sent a message to Anne-Mieke Halbrooke last week.
Anne-Mieke invited me to share her reply with arlis-l, since "it will
be a while before we can function fully as a library" and generally
"get our act together".
"Most of our staff came through this unscathed, but there were some
that lost everything. The Trust is offering loans of up to $5,000
to staff who need it... We'll be open again this Monday..."
"There was flooding on the 8th floor... and seepage through the
building. Our books all went with the gravity and this morning
[Friday] we tried to pick up 80,000 auction catalogs that had formed
nice heaps in the aisles. This is going to be the shelfreading from
hell!! The mongraphs and periodicals are back on the shelves but
need to be checked and we have structural damage where stacks
pulled out of the walls. Our main storage area in Marina del Rey
survived beautifully though - not a book out of place!'
"...We have damage in the offices, though the building survived
[whoops delete 'survived] came through it all very well..."
"The new building survived very well and so did the Museum - so all
in all we came out well."
Finally Anne-Mieke says: "those that use us for ILL - have pity on
us for a while, please...".
Actually Anne-Mieke says that she watched the immediate aftermath
on CNN in Holland, but found everything more or less OK when she
got back!