From:
John Martinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 06:44:23 -0700
Though many of the museums have artifacts, their is a difference in having a museum, and a Living History Park as a museum.  In the Living History Park..the artifacts are often used as part of the demonstration.  Why?  Because reproduction items are expensive.  If a Park (that was first operated by the state) was assumed by a non-profit organization, and the collection is the buildings and artifacts (over 19,000) how can any organization replace all the artifacts with reproductions, e.g., rare and old furniture that cost over $5,000 to have a repro made or a piano that would cost $20,000 to even have restored.  Most often, present management assumes the artifacts (what is there) when they come on board that was collected years and years ago.  Though under good intentions, many present day curators inherit a padora's box of cost, junk, and policy that is totally agains curator standards.

How can any museum or park that does "living history" afford to replace a 19,000 collection of artifacts with replacements so they can demonstrate and preform their mission statement, i.e., to provide living history?  For myself, I have to do it one-step-at-a-time and hope the original artifact does not get destroyed in the long run.