From:
Harry Needham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:51:15 -0500
In 1900-1901, the Edison Company made at least two silent films on the Boer
War. Both were complete fakes, shot, I understand, in New Jersey, yet three
touring companies exhibited these films throughout the USA (one also
ventured into Canada). They exhibited the films as representing actual
battle footage. To an observer with any knowledge of either the uniforms of
the day or of battlefields, they are palpable fakes and must have been to
trained observers at the time.

Now, these films were made when there were thousands of veterans of the
Civil War who were still alive, most of whom would have had first-hand
experience of battlefields, and surely they would have laughed at the films.

My colleagues and I wonder if there is any film archive or academic
institution in the USA that might have done any research on these films,
particularly on the reaction of US veterans to them.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated. If I am late ackowledging your
suggestions, please forgive me, as I will be on leave until 4 JAN 99.

Thank you and have a joyous festive season!

Harry

Harry Needham
Special Advisor - Programme Development
Canadian War Museum
330 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Canada
K1A 0M8
Voice: (819) 776-8612  Fax (819) 776-8623
Email: [log in to unmask]