From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:41:16 -0400
Dear Bill,

When I set up the lecture series for the historical society where I worked,
we did not compensate in the beginning. We had one very popular speaker who
would talk on issues concerning the Battle of Lake Erie and he came over
from the Islands. In that case, he would compensated with a meal and hotel
room. Other speakers who came from great distances were also compensated
with a meal and mileage. Most local speakers were not compensated.

The forum was geared toward the educational goals of the museum and a way
to rebuild ties with the community (we didn't charge) and bring people
interested in Great Lakes history together. Speakers ranged from a talk on
the WPA projects in Cleveland to a session on tall tales of the Lakes and
the audience was able to vote if the yarn was true or not! Many of the
speakers did it out of the fun! It was great to have so many gracious
people interested in not only attending, but sharing their knowledge as
well. Cheers!
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC