From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:21:09 -0700
I realize companies, in some instances, are migrating
to core hours.  Nonetheless, it can be a violation of
the Labor Laws to require an exempt employee to be on
campus the full eight hours and make up time away.

The rules on this are actually very clear.  Employers
who twist the rules to suit their purposes can, in
fact, lose their exempt status for employees and then
would have to pay overtime any time it is worked.

I know that the area seems vague, but not in the law.
It's part of the reason I truly encourage all
employees to know their rights.  Far too many lose
them because they don't know what rights they have,
and the employer isn't going to tell them if it's not
to their benefit.

It's important to remember that exempt doesn't mean 40
hours.  It means however many hours it takes to get
the job done.  That could be 30 or 60.

--- Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think we're talking about two different things
> here. I'm an "exempt"
> employee as I do not earn overtime and I'm on
> salary. But I do earn
> vacation time and am expected to put in 40 hours a
> week.
>
> Some companies are starting to require "core hours",
> meaning you have
> to be at the office during those core hours. My last
> company had this
> policy and so I had to be at the office between 9-3.
> Most of the time
> it is because you are in some type of support
> contractor role and need
> to be available for your clients. While my boss
> didn't mind me taking
> the occasional hour off and making it up later, if I
> was going to be
> gone more than that, I had to use vacation time. I
> also couldn't "make
> up" vacation time by working a few long days before
> I left or after I
> came back.

Indigo Nights