From:
Sue Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:27:51 +1100
>We are discussiong acceptence of digital photos (those taken with digital
>cameras as well as scans of photos on disk). I'm interested in hearing from
>others who accept digital files. What are your standards? What policies
>apply to these accessions? Are they numbered differently from other items?
>If you have written policies, I would be interested in seeing those.

I will be very interested in responses too. We accept such images -
because if we don't we won't get the material at all. I manage the
non av section of Australia's National Screen and Sound Archive and
we are finding that many of the publicists from whom we like to
receive material are now ONLY supplying digital files (whereas once
they supplied photographic prints).  This is occurring mostly with
images promoting the latest Australian films and those for current
radio personalities. We are also having film and television scripts
being supplied as email attachments and publicity kits for film and
tv programs as downloads from websites.

Re images: we ask that they supply the images as TIF files of medium
to high resolution if possible, but if they can't we'll take what
they give if it is material we want. We then tend to get photographic
prints done via a Pegasus Printer from our local photo lab. (This is
impacting our budget!) However, we try to clear copyright to display
these images in our online catalogue and are currently developing a
system for accessioning the digital image as well as the hard copy we
have made.

Cheers, Sue
--

   Sue Terry                      __  /\
                                 /  \/  \     Manager, Documentation Development

'The secret of survival is to embrace change, and to adapt' (Rohinton Mistry)