From:
Catherine Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 08:33:44 -0400
[Hugh Genoways asked]:

>> What was the first historic house museum in the U. S.?  (Not the oldest
>> house that is now a museum, but the first to be operated as a museum)
>>
>> What is the longest operating historic house museum in the U. S. that
>> is still open?

Well, this doesn't exactly answer any of the questions posed, but APVA
Preservation Virginia (formerly the Association for the Preservation of
Virginia Antiquities) is the oldest statewide preservation organization in
the country and, I believe, the oldest multi-site historical organization in
the country (founded 1889, early acquisitions include: Jamestown, 1893; the
Powder Magazine in Williamsburg, 1890 (this and other early sites preserved
in Williamsburg are now in the care of the Colonial Williamsburg
Foundation); the Mary Washington House in Fredericksburg, 1890; the John
Marshall House in Richmond, 1911; and others).

Catherine E. Dean
Curator of Collections
APVA--Preservation Virginia
204 West Franklin Street