From:
Jessica White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:55:33 -0600
Hello list members--

I've been hemming and hawing about whether or not to put my word in, and if
would really provide any constructive help. But, if there are institutions
out there who are wondering how to deal with interns, the more opinions,
the better (I guess).

I spent most of my undergraduate years trying to find an internship for the
summer that would pay. Like most undergrads, not only did I have rent to
pay, but all of the other sundry payments that we all have (car, utilities,
etc.). However, like most, I was really disheartened when I could not find
much, and most were out of my geographic area, which would have meant
finding housing (most of the time not provided) and having to pay for food
and transportation. Unless students are wealthy to begin with, most of the
time this sort of situation is impossible to deal with. However, like most
students trying to break into the museum field and academics, I was pressed
to find an internship, since experience is the life or death, I was told,
of a new career.

Luckily, I found an internship after graduation, which I am currently at.
And, unlike most I found, I am being paid a generous amount
($1100/month...actually $800 after taxes!).  And, in defense of mid-sized
museums and departments, I can see how hard it is for departments to scrape
the money together to pay interns. (Actually, I am being paid by an outside
money source.) And, sadly, even the amount I am getting is not enough, and
I, like most other interns I think, have had to moonlight at another
part-time job.

As a young professional trying to navigate through school and
resume-building experiences, an internship like this means a lot. And,
luckily, I am living in an area of the country which is not as expensive as
others (I'm in Springfield, IL). To be honest, I couldn't imagine trying to
survive in a larger city on the same income. Of course, I am going to say
that it is of upmost importance to departments to try and compensate
interns as much as possible. At this internship, too, I am treated as a
'regular' staff member, and have corresponding benefits.

Also, I would say that advertising is key if you can't fill internships. As
an undergrad, I never knew of Museum discussion lists, and actually came
across the posting for my internship by accident at another museum. I know
as an undergraduate, I was on many list-servs, and still missed quite a few
opportunities, I am sure.

I should probably end here...although this is a very worthy discussion. In
today's world of finances and budgets, trying to pay interns may not be on
the top of a priority list for a museum. But, from this end, it is a
priority, and one which, sadly, is sometimes the difference between
applying or not. Also, another problem is that many internships start at
varying times of the year...internships which start, say, in January and
end in March or April are *very* hard for undergraduates, or even
graduates, to fill. Also, summer internships sometimes start before
graduation. This is something, too, that departments should think about
before trying to institute a new program.

Thank you for your time!
Jessica White