From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:45:01 -0500
On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Musynergy wrote:

>  A current exhibit design project in a
> new children's museum has lead me to explore the implications of taking
> this approach to extreme lengths.  The founders' philosophy is that all
> exhibits in the museum are totally experience based and that there is no
> need for labels of any kind.  They believe that any relevant concepts or
> essential information can be conveyed in programming.

If I were you, I'd go down to the exhibit and ask the visitors
themselves, "Do you think this exhibit would be better if there were
labels, or do you like it the way it is?"  I've done this myself when I
was trying to decide an issue, and it's amazing how talking to even only
15 or 20 people will teach you a lot.

This whole labeling issue was a hot discussion on this list a few months
ago. All I'd add is that some people read at exhibits, and some people
don't, but I don't think that having labels will interfere with the
experience for non-readers, while it offers an additional level of
information for readers.

--Helen Glazer
Exhibitions Director
Goucher College, Baltimore, MD, USA