Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 12:03:23 -0500
In a message dated 97-03-24 19:23:43 EST, [log in to unmask] (David
Haberstich) writes:

> I think discussing popular movies is just too far afield
>  for a large, lively forum like Museum-L, no matter how you want to
>  rationalize their inclusion.

I gotta disagree with you David. One of the most effective tools in engaging
museum audiences is using material that people can identify with (especially
as we continue to strive to reach a more diverse audience, namely those who
would not go see an exhibit they know nothing about). I just finished working
on the Georgia Golf Hall of Fame and while it is not a museum in the true
sense it is a similar forum. One of the most fun aspects of the Hall is the
montage of film footage of "golf classics." Caddyshack, Dorf on Golf, Tin
Cup, James Bond (Goldfinger I think it was), etc. Also, what about the very
excellent use of film and tv clips in the Space Exploration exhibit and SI's
Air and Space? And films like "Dances With Wolves, Black Robe, at Play in the
Fields of the Lords, The Mountains of the Moon, and even (gasp), The Gods
Must Be Crazy are excellent tools to present anthropological subjects, using
film stereotypes as a departure or reference point. People learn much from
films, and I think they should be incorporated into the exhibition
experience.

My personal recommendation is the film depicting modern day Maori culture
(which is EXTREMELY violent and disturbing and not for the weak at heart),
Once Were Warriors.

- Adrienne