From:
Kimberly Beach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:04:41 -0800
Dear colleagues:

The Historical Society of Rockland County is currently
planning for our next exhibition entitled
(tentatively) "Made in Rockland,"  a history of area
industries in the 20th century.  The prominent
industries were medicinal drug manufacturing, Avon,
Fujitsu, quarrying, brickmaking, ship building, and
ice harvesting.  This area also had a thriving resort
industry during the first half of the century.  We are
also addressing the smaller "mom and pop" businesses
that were here.

Our idea is to provide snap shots of 1900 and 2000 and
discuss what changes influenced the creation and
deterioration of area industry.  We are also
interviewing area residents who worked in or have
memories of these industries.

We are interested in developing some hands-on
interactives for children and adults relating to
industry.   We have a small staff of 4 full time
people and an even smaller budget.  We would like to
provide an interesting experience on a topic that is
not generally considered exciting.

We are also looking for simple, yet interesting design
ideas for a small museum doing an exhibition on
industry.  Perhaps some of you have done similar
exhibitions at your institutions...

Any suggestions???

Kimberly A. Beach
Curator
The Historical Society of Rockland County