From:
"Robert T. Handy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:30:57 -0500
I would like a copy.

------
Robert Handy
Brazoria County Historical Museum
100 East Cedar
Angleton, Texas  77515
(409) 864-1208
museum_bob
http://www.bchm.org

----------
From:   Roger Wulff[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Monday, August 10, 1998 4:24 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Artifact storage costs-perpetuity

Dear Tim:

Your question concerning the costs associated with artifact storage is
an interesting one.  It also gets into an area know as Life Cycle
Costing - which is an area of Value Methodology.

We are all aware that museums, as a class of buildings, are some of the
most expensive construction projects to build in most any part of the
world.  Now, using Life Cycle Costing, it is possible to obtain a very
accuate cost figure for all of the costs involved in maintaining the
stringent environmental conditions within the museum and within the
artifact storage area.  What will your HVAC units cost you in operating
and maintenance expenses 15 years down the road - and - at what point in
time do you replace the units and start all over again into perpetuity?
LCC can tell you those costs.  Sometimes, the less costly systems to
purchase are the most expensive to operate and maintain.

Value Methodology uses a Functional Analysis Process to ascertain what
will perform the same function - but on a more cost effective basis.  If
you are interested, I am in the process of finishing an article on a
Value Methodology Study we completed on the Renovation of a Science
Museum located in a Historic Railroad Building.  I could E Mail it to
you.

Kind Regards

Roger Wulff

Visit our New Web Site and our New BARNES & NOBLE MUSEUM BOOKSTORE at:

        http://www.washingtonpost.com/yp/museumshopint

Museum Services International is a non-profit organization which
provides planning and implementation services in all areas of cultural
and museum operations - especially in the area of "Economuseology."