From:
Laura Petznick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:08:04 -0400

It seems to me that museums need input from many disciplines, regardless of
the museum's type. At the simplest level, a museum is, or perhaps should be,
a microcosm of society. It deals with finance, public relations, history,
education, marketing, etc etc. Hence, I would suggest that your accounting
training could and should be an asset to you. Furthermore, is not all
experience valid? Whether or not you APPLY your knowledge of accounting
directly as an accountant, no doubt the DISCIPLINE of accountancy will be
useful no matter what career path you choose.

Finally, having worked with people who are brilliant in their immediate
field of curriculum development but "practically impaired" with
administration and their budgets, I can wholeheartedly encourage you to pay
attention to your accountancy course. It is all well and good to know about
education/curriculum development and how to apply them to a museum audience,
but it would be very difficult for you (and for your colleagues) if you
found that you had not balanced your budget and there was no money in your
account to mail out teacher's packets before a class trip to your museum.

N.B. Guy: I hope that this encourages you to accept "having" to take
accounting course, but bear in mind that I am only a volunteer at the moment
and am not yet fully employed by a hmuseum.