From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:18:12 -0500
Maternity leaves at our place are paid for as long as the employee has
accumulated vacation and/or sick time, and when that runs out the leave
is unpaid.  Leaves can be for up to three months with an absolute
guarantee of resuming the same job at the same pay/seniority upon
return, but if more time is needed it can be negotiated.  So far I am
the only one who has given birth (twice) while employed here, but we are
awaiting 2 more babies and an imminent adoption within the next six
months.  These women are planning 6wks-2mo. off. with part-time for a
month or so upon return before going full-time again.

As far as PATERNITY leave:  we had one man who took 2 weeks off (unpaid,
as I recall) which turned to 3 1/2 weeks off, then went part-time for 3
months, then resigned to stay home with the baby full-time while his
wife went back to work full-time.

Infants in the work place...we love 'em to visit, but we haven't had any
stay all- or even part-day.  Some of our studio instructors bring them
while they teach their 3-hour classes, but once the baby gets past 6 mo.
or so they don't bring them anymore.

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center

Erica Blumenfeld wrote:

> We are updating and upgrading our personnel policy manual.  I would
> appreciate hearing from any and all about their museum's maternity leave
> policy and all else having to do with pregnant and new parents that are
> employee.  How long are leaves, are they paid, what about infants in the
> work place, returning to work after the leave is over, etc.

Museum-L" (without the quotes).