From:
David Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 16:54:11 -0500
Good Morning,
We at the Institute are once again considering a four-day, 10-hour week in
an attempt to save a dollar of two on utilities.  Our current operation
is: administrative offices open Monday-Friday, more or less 8-5.  Exhibit
area (one complete floor and about 1/3 or another) open Tuesday-Sunday,
9-5.  Rent the exhibit area any old evening you would like.  The current
talk is the possibility of closing the building completely on Mondays
(except for rental where the client would pay all utility costs in
addition to the regular fees).
While we can probably figure out the dollar impact of such a move, but we
all have a concern about the effect on the staff--morale, productivity,
etc.-- of working 10-hour days.  I would appreciate any references to
studies done on such a work-week change, particularly in a museum
environment.  Reports from individuals who have gone through such a change
(or have simply worked a four-day week) would also be welcome.
Thank you very much.  David

David Haynes, Institute of Texan Cultures, PO Box 1226, San Antonio TX 78294
Voice: 210/558-2248, FAX: 210/558-2218, InterNet: [log in to unmask]