From:
Patricia McElyea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 08:36:50 CST
        I know that this thread came up just a couple of months ago, but I
will add a plug for the software program we are using.  Early this
year we switched from Argus to the new Past Perfect software that is
distributed by AASLH.  We have been delighted not only with its
features but also with its ease of use.  It comes with the Lexicon
built in, has facilities for objects, photos, as well as library and
archival materials.  For a minimal charge you can also add an imaging
function.  The staff here love the ease of use.  Our Registrar has
recently taught several of our summer high school student workers to
input data.  I believe he spent a grand total of 3 hours explaining
the system.  Our Director loves the system because of the cost.  I
believe that we spent approx. $1800. for the whole system (quite a
bit less than most museum software).

Patricia McElyea                                 Unless the heart sees
Curator of Collections                           The mind will never see.
Arkansas State
   University Museum                                      --Maori proverb