Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:25:53 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, LyndaK
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

> We are doing some research at the Australian Museum into quality
>     issues, specifically as they relate to exhibitions/public programs.
>     As part of this research I would be grateful if you could take a few
>     brief minutes to answer the following questions:
>
>     1. List 3 aspects/elements/things that *you* would consider in
>     defining quality in museum exhibitions generally. (I am interested
in
>     what you *personally* think)

As regular museum visitors (we have two young children), my wife and I are
often disappointed at the standard of original taped or filmed material
shown in museums, especially when it is a part of an exhibition that
otherwise has been executed with great flair and imagination. One problem,
I imagine, is that exhibition designers, or the museums themselves, have
found their choice narrowed to companies who normally specialize in the
production of corporate and industrial video when sub-contracting the
programme material. Unfortunately, flair, imagination and a sense of
theatre are not absolute pre-requisites for success in the corporate video
market (not a criticism - the demands are different) and so the material
suffers. The expectations of a general public who are used to veiwing
material on their TV screens that is both creatively and technically
sophisticated is high. In many ways, museums have become theatre. The idea
of the impartation of information and ideas through experience is at the
root of both types of institution. The solution, we feel, is in the
utilisation of the experience of people who are professionally used to
addressing the problems of those audience expectations.

>     2. What is your area of work (eg design, education, evaluation,
>     conservation, curatorial, etc)?

Corporate and Broadcast Video production.

>     3. Has your institution done any work in this area?

Audio-visual programming for the Ironbridge Gorge Museum of Iron in
Shropshire, UK.

(Despite obvious vested interest, the opinions expressed above are sincere
- I hope they are also helpful).

Michael Bott
ILLUMINATED WORD PRODUCTION COMPANY

http://members.aol.com/brightword/illumine/homepage.htm