From:
Cliff quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 12:39:12 -0700

Changes in public funding of culture should be reflecting national or
provincial priorities, and theoretically the public's feelings. I think
one of the problems that is causing the current lack of funding is the
public perception of museums as places that never change.

Public funding of medical care grew out of the public's perception that
there was a universal requirement for it. Is there such a perception that
museums are a universal benefit? I think so, but are people willing to
put their money where their mouths are - either directly out of their
pockets, or through their tax dollars?

If you, Eileen, are willing to put
your tax dollars into museums as a general public benefit, then you
should also be willing to shell out a few extra bucks because you have a
personal special interest in them. Public transit is subsidized, yet not
many object to paying the nominal fee for riding the bus.

Cliff Quinn, Dogwood Museum Network Coordinator
Ph: (604) 387-3315 [log in to unmask]