From:
Nicholson/Salzberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:45:38 -0600
Jeremy:  I would suggest at least keeping some sort of accounting of staff
time on exhibit projects, for no other reason than it is a useful planning
tool.  Sure, some grants require staff time to be included in the budget,
but this is often only for staff directly involved on a day-to-day basis
with the project (curators, designers, etc.).

The larger issue is how much is an institution REALLY spending on exhibits?
How much time do high-priced management staff spend in reviewing plans?  How
many people sit around the table for 3 hours and critique the effort?  In
some places, the finding would be sobering, to say the least.

You may not need to account for every minute that staff spends on an
exhibit, but next time you are in a long planning meeting, go around the
table and add up salaries--it can be quite frightening--or enlightening if
you want to think about it that way.

Claudia Nicholson