From:
Dan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:32:13 -0500
Midway Village is the international leader in preserving and
disseminating the history of the sock monkey (I wish I was making that
up). In the course of working on our new exhibit about the city's former
hosiery industry and the sock and doll that are its legacy, I had
bisected and mostly unstuffed a sock monkey doll while trying to make an
articulated  sock monkey puppet (who saw THAT coming in grad school).
For quite a while its two halves would be laid under the blade of the
oversize paper cutter in my workspace.

One day shortly before the exhibit opened I tipped back the 600 pound
knitting machine in the exhibit gallery and tucked the lower half of the
monkey under it so that it looked like the machine had been set down on
and squashed the upper half of a sock monkey.  I did this for the
benefit of our then Curator of Education who was at the time suffering a
severe case of "monkey fatigue"  Monkey fatigue is an acute
psychological disorder employees at Midway Village suffer when they have
heard about /dealt with/ talked about or taught about sock monkeys too
long without enough other kinds intellectual stimulation.  The most
effective cure is to witness or participate in some kind of shockingly
disrespectful act  perpetrated on some poor, lovable, defenseless monkey
doll.  Anyway I had no sooner put the squashed monkey in place when who
should wander into the gallery but one of our oldest (literally and
figuratively) and most active volunteers and donors (also serving on the
board at the time).  She had in tow a group of her friends and was
proudly showing off the museum and talking about our upcoming new
exhibit.  I had no where to run as I was on hands and knees behind a
plexi barrier next to the machine working on the installation.  All I
could do was smile, greet the group, sweat and send up prayers to the
gods of museum pranksters.  Such prayers must work because neither she
nor anyone in her group spotted the unfortunate monkey.

BTW, the monkey fatigue cure worked its usual magic..

Dan

--
Dan Bartlett, BFA, MA
Curator of Exhibits