From:
Chuck Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:02:34 -0700
Hi Laura,

I knew when I read your post that you'd get a huge response. I guess we're all still kids at heart! In addition to those classics already mentioned, here's what this little boy from the sixties would put in:

Matchbox cars
Plastic models-- airplanes, cars, ships, spacecraft, trucks, etc.
Spy stuff-- There were a lot of spies in the media in the mid-sixties: James Bond, The Man from UNCLE, Get Smart, I Spy, etc., and the toy departments were filled with cameras that turned into guns, pens that were really  communicators, briefcases with booby traps and hidden knives, etc.
Tonka trucks and construction equipment were the industry standard, but I also remember Buddy-L and Nylint.
Nuclear submarines were popular, too, from little ones a few inches long that came in your Cheerios, to the three-foot-long motorized model that had a detailed interior and ran along the floor with the red "reactor" flashing and alarm bells ringing.
Erector sets
Viewmasters
Chemistry labs, Biology labs, Geology labs, and small astronomical telescopes launched many a scientific career.
"Learn to Draw" and "Paint by Number" sets got our right hemishperes going.
Frisbees
Tops, marbles, and yo-yos were perennial favorites.
PlayMobile and Jimmy Jet were somewhat realistic, kid-sized versions of a car dashboard and a jet fighter instrument panel.
Little Golden Books
And surely you'll want to include at least one set of those one-volume-per-week grocery store encyclopedias!

You might also want to contact:
The Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls & Toys
880 Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80206
303-332-3704

What a treat it is to read all the other responses!

Good luck,
Chuck Stout
Exhibits Design and Development
Denver Museum of Natural History