From:
NYSED NATURECACHE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 01:38:13 -0500
This might be a good time to bring up an observation.

I'm seeing more and more educational video online... which is great.

But how do we handle accessibility?

So, here's the scenario...
-We all now have seen this great video that Beryl Rosenthal alerted us to.
-We tell our teacher-friends
-One of them assigns watching the online video as "homework"
-A student from lower socioeconomic background goes to the library to use the computer to watch the video homework assignment
-The library has disabled the audio on all its computers (I think ALL libraries disable the audio!)

Try it yourself.
Watch the video with the sound off.
Without sound, Beryl's "brilliant" assessment is probably not your first impression.
Think about what the the youth in the scenario gets out of the video.

The video doesn't comply with accessibility standards for inclusion of diverse audiences.

So, how do we handle online video?
Subtitles?
Transcripts?

New technologies explode onto the market.
We need to be prepared with standards to use them effectively.

http://www.NatureCache.org