Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:13:22 -0400
Where has Gelbspan's article in the Globe 'been widely criticized' in
as much as it was published on Tuesday?

Two recent papers in Science, which unlike Discover is a peer-reviewed
technical journal, certainly seem to support the connection:

'Recent extreme events such as the devastating 2003 European summer
heat wave raise important questions about the possible causes of any
underlying trends, or low-frequency variations, in regional climates.
Here, we present new evidence that basin-scale changes in the Atlantic
Ocean, probably related to the thermohaline circulation, have been an
important driver of multidecadal variations in the summertime climate
of both North America and western Europe. Our findings advance
understanding of past climate changes and also have implications for
decadal climate predictions.' [Sutton and Hudson, 'Atlantic Ocean
Forcing of North American and European Summer Climate', 1 July 2005.]

'Thus, although variability is large, trends associated with human
influences are evident in the environment in which hurricanes form, and
our physical understanding suggests that the intensity of and rainfalls
from hurricanes are probably increasing, even if this increase cannot
yet be proven with a formal statistical test. Model results suggest a
shift in hurricane intensities toward extreme hurricanes.' [Trenbath,
Kevin. 'Uncertainly in Hurricanes and Global Warming', Science, v308
n5729. 17 June 2005.]

And in fact many other climatologists (as distinct from meteorologists)
have published (again, this would be in Science and other technical
journals, not in Discover or on Fox News) on the connection between
ocean warming, climate change and intense weather activity. In Science,
you might see also, Knutson, Tuleya, and Kurihara, 'Simulated Increase
of Hurricane Intensities in a CO2-Warmed Climate', 18 Feb 1998;
Levitus, Antonov, Boyer, and Stephens, 'Warming of the World Ocean', 24
March 2000.

There are others, you might do some research.

Museums should do a better job educating the public. Their exhibit
developers should try to take care of themselves.

-L.D.