From:
Daphne Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:40:35 -0800
Helen, I believe the piece you're referring to was
in a very good article in the Sunday New York Times early this year.  The
article spoke specifically about the state of access, condition, etc. of
art pieces purchased in the '80s by Japanese investers.   One of the
artist was Vincent VanGogh and I can't recall the other, sold at either
Christie's or Soethby's for around $70 or 80 million as I recall.  If your
friend is near a library that carries back issues or has access to the
Times' website you can't pull up the article since it was in the magazine
section and it's not on-line yet, but they should be able to access the
date to get a hard copy at the library. -Daphne Holmes, [log in to unmask]