From:
"Meredith L. Dunham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:44:23 -0500
At our museum, a previous administrator accepted items without regards to whether or not we could care for them.  In fact, the administrator accepted just about anything that came along.  This is not only inefficient in terms of storage and care of the objects at the museum but it is a show of bad faith to the donor if you accept something that you will, through neglect and lack of funds, steadily destroy or damage.  Many things in our collection were damaged by pests because we did not have a pest management policy what so ever.  Luckily, the donor is no longer living and, therefore, cannot complain about the condition of their donation.  Although that wouldn't stop heirs from complaining if the donor had any.

In some cases, a donor (such as a large institution) may require proof that you can care for the object and protect it before they donate it to you.  For the most part, this usually occurs with loans but is not unheard of with donations.

Its a sticky situation with some easy and some very complicated answers.  Hope this adds a little to your research.

Meredith

Virginia Beach Historic Houses
Virginia Beach, VA 23452