From:
Aaron Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:59:26 -0400
I have had several different experiences with this issue. No matter what you ultimately decide on in terms of storage, each medal, ribbon, and removable insignia should have its own accession number as it could stand alone in an exhibit.

As for storage, I don't think there is any single accepted technique. The U.S. Army's National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, accessioned each medal or ribbon separately, but left them in place on the uniform coat just as the donor would have worn them.

The New York State Museum accessions each item separately, but then stores them in a drawer separate from the uniform.

Both storage techniques have their own pros and cons. Keeping the uniform together helps maintain the integrity of the uniform as a singular artifact. It is very easy to misplace a small insignia and thereby risk losing a significant part of the soldier's story that is told through the uniform. On the other hand, it is not necessarily the best technique in terms of the museum standards of storage. Ultimately, depending on your institution's storage facilities, it may become a personal decision based on your priorities for the artifact.

Hope this helps.

Aaron Noble
Research & Collections
New York State Museum
Cultural Education Center 3035
Albany, New York 12230
(518) 474-2179

>>> Jarod Atkins <[log in to unmask]> 10/24/2007 2:04:10 PM >>>
Hello Museum World,

I am in the process of accessioning some World War II uniforms.  I wondered
what would be the proper way to deal with the medals pinned to the uniforms.
Leave them as is. Accessioning them separately.  Or accessioning them
separately but leave them on the uniform and should I use A, B, etc. or next
sequential number? Thank you for your responses.

Jarod Atkins, Curator of Collections

Edmond Historical Society

431 S. Boulevard, Edmond, OK 73034

Office:  (405)340-0078