From:
"P.J. Crawley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 09:32:09 +0000

> In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] "Scott J Brish"
> writes:

> > Apparently they are are adding more museums every year and there are a few
> > locations around the world as well (doesn't say where though).
> There is (or was a couple of years ago) on the seafront at Great Yarmouth,
> Norfolk, England.
> --
> Patricia Reynolds
> Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum / Freelance Curator
>
> 16 Gibsons Green
> Heelands
> Milton Keynes
> MK13 7NH
> ENGLAND

I went to the one at Great Yarmouth, Norfolk - also a couple of years ago.
There's also one at the Pleasure Beach, Blackpool. This one has many of the
exact same exhibits (furry trout, three-ball-Charlie, etc). I presume they
are franchised in some way, like McDonalds and Pizza Hut, with replica
exhibits made available centrally, and strict controls on what is allowed to
be included (image protection).

Would it be interesting to look at some of the organizational issue involved
here? Is this a model for ALL museums in a post-modern age of the
similacrum? Excuse me, I'm talking like a sociologist.

Peter Crawley,
Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology,
Keele University,
Newcastle,
Staffordshire,
ST5 5BG