From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:21:38 -0700
Ooohwee, that's a classical class of agendas.

Well, the word "docent" comes from the Latin "docere" meaning "to teach."  I
at first imagined that your docents were largely tour guides.  I see that at
your organization they do a variety of volunteer functions.

It seems to me that you are probably training them correctly.  Since you are
a historical society, however, being well informed about the history of the
city and region is probably important, and a good theme for continuing
education when they meet.  Perhaps some of your more academically inclined
docents could also develop fact sheets or write short essays (all subject to
education and curatorial approval of course) to be kept in notebooks that
would be convenient to hand for docents to use in answering questions, or
visitors to leaf through.  Other docents might be helpful in providing
information about local restaurants, shopping, children's resources and
whatnot, also for the notebook.

I agree that developing an extremely rigorous training program might be
counterproductive.  Pruning deadwood is a perennial problem and figuring out
how to get everyone operating at a minimally acceptable level a challenge.
However, requiring participation in ongoing training and creating enthusiasm
for new ideas and knowledge would be a way to improve their knowledge base
and keep them fresh.

HOWEVER.  If the issue here is that the docent group is an elite and closed
social group whose members are vetted by your board, this is another matter
entirely.  Newcomers are potentially the motherlode of resources.  They are
interested in becoming part of the community, they aren't burdened with a
lot of preconceived notions or hardened attitudes about the town and what
might or might not be possible for the museum, and because they are looking
for ways to belong they are likely to be very sensitive about making all
visitors feel welcome.

My inclination would be to commend the Board for their interest and
implement some kind of (obligatory) continuing education, like a monthly or
so meeting that includes presentation by staff and various guest speakers,
as well as a few printed hand outs.  And/or maybe a reading circle to
discuss recent relevant books and articles.  I would not so much acknowledge
what is unsaid as preempt it by actively reaching out to newcomers for the
support they can offer, support both financial and moral.  Get your Board at
least to pay lip service to that stance, maybe?

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: Writing, Editing, Research Services
Aberdeen, MD