From:
Chris Musello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:23:01 EDT
Catherine: I own a company that designs, builds and travels exhibits for
museums and I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have. As to
you broad question, a couple of major things to consider: Regarding DESIGN,
design your show to be lightweight, durable, and most importantly, easy to
put together and take down. This is crucial for the longevity of your show.
Make sure you have a fabricator/engineer working with you during design who
can help you choose the most appropriate materials, hardware, cases and
structures. When you are traveling fragile/valuable objects, we have found it
best to design cases or vitrines in which they are securely mounted and from
which they are NEVER REMOVED during travel. For security, it is important
that no one have a reason to be accessing and handling the objects during
travel. Strangely, the most important element in creating a show that travels
well is probably the crating you build to hold the show while it travels. You
will probably need custom crates and you need to plan to spend alot of money
on them. I have been told that SITES routinely earmarks 14% of its traveling
exhibit budgets to crating. That sounds about right to me. Good luck, and
don't let anyone tell you you're crazy.
Chris Musello, Sightworks