From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:50:20 -0400
There is an undercurrent of suspicion that keeps popping up in the responses
to this post.  Specifically, some write as if downsizings are the work of
sinister administrators at the museums, well-paid men and women just waiting
for an excuse to terminate employees.  The economy has been going down for
months, and went into the pits after Sept. 11.

Even in the rural parts of this nation, visitors began staying away in
droves from their area museums after Sept. 11.  In fact, they are spending
only when it is necessary.  Maybe that will change gradually.  So far,
however, we aren't seeing it.

It seems unprofessional to accuse the Shedd's administrators (who, according
to the news article, had taken voluntary pay cuts earlier this year) of
mismanagement without knowing the circumstances they were forced to deal
with.  Convincing evidence that paid admissions were going to be far worse
than expected, i.e., the aftermath of Sept. 11, demands action at the top.

What is the source of the generalized suspicion of museum administrators?
Since September 11 we have had evidence of more than one control freak
running a museum.  The Shedd is well managed, or it would not have been so
successful in recent years.  Its priorities seem to be in order:  protect
the collection and serve the visitors who pay the bills.  Fewer visitors
means fewer visitor service personnel; unfunded education programs means
cutting them down for the time being.  A third priority might have suggested
a strenuous fundraising effort to help rebuild the staff (e.g., to endow
educational programs).

Getting back to the question:  why do so many museum people mistrust those
at the helm?  Because they are from the world of business, or are mainly
fundraisers?

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net