From:
Regan Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 22:26:43 EST
I recently copied this message off the visual resources list (vra-l), and posted
it to two archaeology lists.  Judging by the response that I got, there are
probably a lot of people out there who are interested in having this video, or
having their library purchase it.  One addendum, however -- one response told me
that this is NOT the _first ancient art exhibition in the world to center around
women_ -- that distinction apparently goes to an exhibition from Turkey.
Nevertheless, here is the posting as I found it:

>>I recently viewed a video which might be of interest to you.  It's called
"Pandora's Box: The Roles of Women in Ancient Greece" a video lecture by Dr.
Ellen Reeder, Curator of Ancient Art at the Walter's Art Gallery, Baltimore.

The video features 138 works of art from the 5th century and serves as an
overview of the first ancient art exhibition in the world to center around
women.  The exhibit was in Baltimore, is now at the Dallas Museum of Art, and
will travel to the Antikenmuseum, Basel.  Organized into 4 sections, the first
begins with the concept of the ideal woman in Greek society, including the
proper body language, facial expression, and general deportment.  The second
section concentrates on a key metaphor for women in ancient Greece: the woman as
vessel.  The third section examines the metaphor of woman as a wild animal
needing to be tamed.  The last section focuses on various myths that dramatize
the anxiety and apprehension of the Greeks regarding the taming of women.

The video is of obvious interest to art historians, classicists, women's studies
departments, anthropologists and sociologists.  The video was produced by the
Institute for Mediterranean Studies in cooperation with the Walter's Art
Gallery.  The price is a modest $19.95 plus s & h ($3.00), and is available
from:

The Institute of Mediterranean Studies
7086 East Aracoma Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45237
fax: (513) 631-1715<<

** cross-posting to anahita, classics, talaros, ancien-l, museum-l; previously
posted to aia-l and greekarch. **

Regards,
Regan Barr