From:
"Leith, Adrienne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:34:11 +1000
Dear listers...

Collections relating to human sexuality around the world....

I have put this together for everyone on the list who responded to me
earlier in the year, and for those amongst us who are revealing new interest
in the subject.....

Firstly, I tried to work out what would constitute a collection which
related to human sexuality, and came up with a plethora of sub-themes that
can be explored under the general umbrella of the theme 'sex', from a
multitude of perspectives.

Possible sub-themes include; reproduction, contraception, invitro
fertilisation, birth, human society and populations, public health,
historical and contemporary diseases, medicine, gender, sexuality (homo-,
hetero-, trans-), deviation, prostitution, sex aids, pornography, erotic
literature, dance, music, performance and art, folklore, humour, historical
and contemporary practices, cultural diversity, body image, fashion and
attire, transvestitism.
If you think of any more... let me know....

Collections and museums indicated through Museum-L and internet searches,
which relate to sex and sexuality including erotica are;
Erotic Museum, Berlin, Germany
Sexmuseum, Amsterdam, Holland
Eroticsh Museum, Amsterdam, Holland
Schwule Museum, Berlin. (homosexuality), Germany
Erotic Art Museum, Hamburg, Germany
Erotica Museum, Copenhagen, Denmark
Kinsey Institute, Indiana University, U.S.A.
Museum of Menstruation and Women's Health, Washington D.C., U.S.A.
Human Sexuality Collection, Cornell University Library, U.S.A.
Museu de L'Erotica, Barcelona, Spain
Health Museum, Cleveland, U.S.A.
Jade Museum, San Jose, Costa Rica
Museum of Penises, Japan

This is the whole list so far!  (There really aren't as many collections in
this area as you'd imagine, given humans overwhelming interest in sex per
se). Other contributions to this growing list are welcome.

I am interested in this area because I work in a large State museum in the
program and research area of the human mind and body, and am intrigued to
see how sexuality is collected and interpreted in a museum setting.

Adrienne Leith