Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 02:54:41 GMT
RE:questions regarding quality in exhibitions/public programs

1) 3 aspects I consider in defining quality :

I define quality in terms of specific visitor outcomes.

1. Visitor is compelled to think about the subject,idea presented
2.  Visitor is so excited about the subject, theme they can't wait to come
back to see and learn more
3.  The exhibit,program meets the VISITORS' definition of "quality".
This last aspect is critical.

2) My area of work: Education and Evaluation

3) Have we done any work in this area? Yes. At Colonial Williamsburg we
have spent many years studying how visitors define success as it relates
to our type of museum - an outdoor historic site.
Breaking the "visitor" down into specific groups such as families with
children, visitors with disabilities, first time v.s. repeat visitors
etc... has helped us understand this issue of quality and how it changes
with the different types of people that come to our historic site. It's a
never ending process of research, testing and ongoing improvements of the
exhibits and interpretations. It's more than a process, it's a way of
thinking.

I am very interested in seeing your results. Please include me in your
summary of results.

Conny C. Graft
Director, Interpretive Education and Support
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Williamsburg, Va. 23185
(804) 220 -7216