From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:26:53 -0600
There is a sort of elist stigma to some art museum, in my opinion. Granted
that some of this reaction may come from the general atmosphere.

For example, when he was small I took my grandson to an educational activity
at his local science museum. I did not know what the nearby art museum
offered so I did not sign him up for something there.

Now, 10 years later, when Grandmother is in town it is cool to go to the
Science Museum, but he refused last year to go with me to the art museum.
(His mom and sister went, and then we went to the science museum to its
blockbuster exhibit too.)

Some of it may be cost. As a member of the Texas Association of Museums I
make visits to the Dallas Museum of Art about every year or less. I have yet
to get in their special Wendy Rives collection which costs extra.

If I could afford to go to New York, MOMA's $20 would take them off my
things-to-do list.

I do believe the science museums deliberate efforts to say: "Hey, this is
what makes this work. Isn't it cool?" is part of the attraction, where the
art museum presents you with a wierd abstraction or a convuluted political
comment and assumes you can understand.

Once at the DMA, when viewing a traveling exhibit by a German artist, I
laughed outloud after reading some of the material incorporated in the
painting. The couple nearby was surprised at my reaction and I translated
the German and explained the symbolism. They nodded understand and drifted
on. The security guard came up and thanked me, because he had stood there
for months without a clue as to why these large (6-8' high by maybe as much
as 12' wide) paintings in dark shades were significant.

I have 3 years of German, courses on German history, a summer living there,
and the equivalent of a BFA, so I could understand the commentary. Without
the insight, they were just some brown and black abstract squiggles on photo
montagues with occassion white accents.

But sometimes I think the leading donars and the boards want the art museums
to be their priviledge domain where the maddening crowd just doesn't get it.

Mary Kirby