From:
Judy Malloy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:12:22 -0500
From Arts Wire Current
http://www.artswire.org/current.html
February 26, 2002

ARTS COMMUNITY ASKS PRESIDENT BUSH TO MAKE NATIONAL COUNCIL ON
THE ARTS NOMINATIONS WHO ARE INTEGRALLY INVOLVED IN THE ARTS; WHO
REPRESENT THE SPIRIT OF OUR NATION'S ARTS AND CULTURE

WASHINGTON, DC - Arts Community responses, received by Arts Wire
CURRENT in response to President Bush's nominations for the
National Council on the Arts, unanimously call for the President
to seriously consider his criteria for these nominations.

"In your own words, Mr. President, 'From music and dance to
painting and sculpting, the arts allow us to explore new worlds
and to view life from another perspective. They also encourage
individuals to sharpen their skills and abilities and to nurture
their imagination and intellect' Those selected to be on the
National Arts Council should promote these values, without
prejudice. Council members should have expertise in the arts and a
proven track record of supporting the arts in its many diverse
forms, for everyone," writes Christine Jewell, Waterbury, CT, who
is implementing a web site of arts advocacy resources for her
Master's Degree thesis in Social Policy and the Arts.

"When you are fighting a war on foreign shores, it's hard to think
about those things that elevate the spirit and put some soul into
one's life. Ah, well, he can talk to Chinese students about
religion, but he forgets that soul is universal and his own
citizenry needs a spiritual lift as well!" said Judith Hoffberg,
Pasadena, CA, curator, writer, Editor of UMBRELLA Magazine.

"As a young choreographer, reading the list of Bush's nominees for
the advisory committee to the NEA struck fear in my heart,"
commented 25-year-old New York City choreographer Eliza Miller.
"Where are the performing artists? For that matter, where are the
artists at all? A committee whose original members included the
likes of Helen Hayes, Agnes de Mille, and Leonard Bernstein seems
to have degenerated into a tea party for Bush's cronies. Who will
represent the interests of all the dancers, musicians, composers,
choreographers, actors, writers, performance artists,
filmmakers? How many of these nominees have ever even met
someone like me?"

The President has announced his intent to nominate Scottsdale
businessman Don V. Cogman; Cincinnati arts patron Katharine Cramer
DeWitt; Connecticut-based art critic David Gelernter; Austin
educator Teresa Lozano Long; Los Angeles-area designer Maribeth
Walton McGinley; and Dallas art collector Deedie Potter Rose.
for the National Council on the Arts., the advisory body of the
National Endowment for the Arts, (NEA) On February 15, the
President's nominations were received in the Senate, according to
the Senate NOMINATIONS IN COMMITTEE report.

The complete responses from artists, arts administrators, arts
writers and editors across the country -- grass roots suggestions
from those who took the time to respond (and included their art
affiliation) -- are available at http://www.artswire.org/nca.html

Many of the of responses came from either the Mid-Atlantic Arts
area or New England, represented in the President's nominations by
David Gelernter or from the West Coast, represented in the
President's nominations by Maribeth Walton McGinley. Currently
there are no artists from New York on the National Council on  the
Arts.

Points reiterated in many responses are that the National Council
on the Arts should reflect the spirit of our countries arts and
culture; that the National Council on the Arts is a place where
the arts community should be represented by individuals of stature
in the arts community, by individuals who are familiar with
contemporary art; that the National Council on the Art is no place
for sexist or homophobic opinions; and that the appointment of
someone associated with an organization who advocates the
elimination of the NEA is inappropriate."

Ian Elliot, Billings, MT, wrote that "After further researching
the matter it is with great concern that I discover Maribeth
Walton McGinley and David Gelernter among the names of those
nominated by President Bush to serve on the National Council on
the Arts, the advisory body of the National Endowment for the
Arts. Though both of these individuals have established themselves
as creative professionals in the arts world, their active support
of conservative, and at time repressive, agendas in a number of
social and political arenas greatly reduces their qualifications
to serve on the National Council of the Arts."

Ian Elliot suffered a serious brain injury in an automobile
accident 7 years ago, and is now the Program Director of Growth
Thru Art, a program serving people with disabilities, social
service providers, and the general public. The core of the program
is a studio based art experience for adults with disabilities.

He continued that "For if confirmed, I firmly believe these two
nominations, in particular, will very likely provide a strong
voice for increased intolerance at the helm of the NEA, and result
in greater levels of discord and disenfranchisement among the
broad spectrum of American citizens this agency is entrusted to
serve.....It has been my observation and professional experience
that art and culture thrive best in environments that are
inclusive, empowering and free flowing, not discriminatory,
limiting and surrounded with prejudicial boundaries."

Portland, Oregon-based installation artist Fernanda D'Agostino,
who is currently working as a public artist on numerous design
teams in the Pacific Northwest, wrote: "I was troubled to read the
vitas of President Bush's nominees for the board of the NEA. I've
been associated with NEA programs in many capacities since 1985,
having been the recipient of NEA project and Regional Initiative
grants, and having worked in the Artist in the School program for
several years."

"I understand the President's privilege in being able to make
these nominations," Barbara Kratchman, President of ArtServe
Michigan, told Arts Wire. "However I would hope that consideration
would be given to how the appointees will view the future of the
arts in this county,"  "I look forward to an honest discussion in
front of Senator Kennedy's commission -- exploring the nominees
backgrounds and their thinking about the future of the arts in
this country." ArtServe Michigan supports and advocates for the
arts and cultural education in the state of Michigan.

Choreographer Jonathan Hollander, Executive and Artistic Director
of Battery Dance Company, also urged the Arts Community to keep
informed and active in the nomination process.

Artist, writer, producer, educator Jacki Apple, who teaches
interdisciplinary arts and modernist cultural history at Art
Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA, sent suggestions of
nominees -- including Frank Gehry, Robert Redford, Steven
Spielberg, Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorcese, Judith
Jamieson, Mikhail Barishnikov, Merce Cunningham, Toni Morrison,
Maya Angelou, Maxine Hong Kingston, James Turrell, Robert
Rauschenberg, Maya Lin, Stephen Sondheim, Wynton Marsalis, Kent
Nagano, David Geffen, Robert Wilson and Yoko Ono.

She also suggested people who are knowledgeable and accomplished
in the arts such as Richard Koshalek, former Director of MOCA,
LA, President of the Art Center College of Design; Steven Lavine,
President of the California Institute for the Arts; Robert
Fitzpatrick; as well as scholars, art historians, curators such as
Terence Riley; Marvin Tractenberg; Klaus Kertess; Dianne Waldman;
Donald Kuspit; Lawrence Rinder; Peter Selz; and Richard Martin.

Artist and Founding Director of Franklin Furnace Archive, Martha
Wilson, New York City, suggested painter Chuck Close, whom
she has also recommended as a nomination for NEA Chairman.

"IF BUSH CARES ABOUT OUR YOUTH, OUR SCHOOLS AND EDUCATION, OUR
SOCIETY AND CULTURE, HE WILL WORK TO APPOINT INTELLIGENT, OPEN
MINDED, AND DIVERSE CITIZENS TO LEAD OUR NATIONAL ARTS RESOURCE. I
HOPE THAT HE HAS THE FORESIGHT TO UNDERSTAND HOW IMPORTANT IT IS
THAT WE LOOK BEYOND POLITICAL AND FINANCIAL AFFILIATIONS. FOR THE
SAKE OF OUR CHILDREN, CURRENT ARTISTS AND FUTURE ARTISTS."-
Annie Van Avery, Arts Education Director, Onion River Arts
Council, VT

"Bush's decisions to nominate people who know little about art or
actively oppose the existence of the NEA communicates at best his
indifference to the role of contemporary art in America. The NEA
and the WPA before it has fulfilled the task of supporting the
arts in this century and American culture has benefited
immensely. Art is how a culture talks to itself . The less public
support for artistic freedom the more totalitarian the
government," observed environmental artist and painter Aviva
Rahmani. (New York City, Maine)

Annie Van Avery, Arts Education Director, Onion River Arts
Council, VT, emphasized that "If Bush cares about our youth, our
schools and education, our society and culture, he will work to
appoint intelligent, open minded, and diverse citizens to lead our
national arts resource. I hope that he has the foresight to
understand how important it is that we look beyond political and
financial affiliations. For the sake of our children, current
artists and future artists."

"THE ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE NEA WERE ACTIVELY ENGAGED IN THE ARTS
AS WORKING ARTISTS. PRECIOUS FEW OF THE CURRENT NOMINEES HAVE THE
SAME HANDS-ON EXPERIENCE, AND THE ONE WHO DOES HAS A RESUME FILLED
WITH COMMERCIAL ART ONLY. HOW CAN THIS BENEFIT ASPIRING AMERICAN
ARTISTS WHO ARE TRYING TO SAY SOMETHING OUTSIDE THE COMMERCIAL
MAINSTREAM?" - Poet Marti Stephen

"I would like to know if there is anything to be done about
voicing a strong opinion from the thousands of arts organizations
across the country and the artists themselves about the small
number of artists represented on the Board?" asked JoAnn Collins,
who lives in Fresno, CA, has been associated with cultural or
educations organizations for 30 years, and is starting a
not-for-profit jazz organization.

"I am afraid that these nominees will not care one bit about the
advancement of dance through the work of innovative
choreographers," wrote Nancy Garcia, dancer/choreographer,
Brooklyn, NY.

"President Bush's nominees for the NEA too commercially engaged
and narrow-minded to effectively serve on an organization that
supports art to "benefit all Americans," (as we always credit them
when we list them as a funder in our program books) commented
Marti Stephen, a poet who works for the nonprofit performing arts
organization Cal Performances in Berkeley, California.

Several of the artists who responded called attention to the arts
community's disadvantaged situation and/or urged artists to
continue working despite this environment.

Homer Jackson, an interdisciplinary artist from Philadelphia with
a background in social service and teaching, commented: "It is no
surprise coming from the Bush administration. In reality, we
should be outraged, but our national  energy for outrage is
wearing a little thin for folks these days and artists
particularly. We're pretty much punch drunk and unable or
unwilling to fight, except each other for some crumbs."

Create, create, create and create some and create some
more..," urged visual artist Samie Decker.

"THE RIGHT WING APPOINTEES ARE TANTAMOUNT TO RONALD REAGAN
APPOINTING JAMES WATT IN THE 80S TO DISMANTLE ANY
INSTITUTIONALIZED ENVIRONMENTAL GAINS. IRONICALLY, THE CURRENTLY
BLAND AND REPUBLICAN NEA NO LONGER EVEN ATTEMPTS TO FULFILL THE
POLITICS-FREE MANDATE OF ITS AUTHORIZING LEGISLATION"
Robert Atkins, Editor Artery The AIDS-Arts Forum; Media Arts
Editor, The Media Channel

"The most inappropriate nomination of David Gelernter with his
many prejudicisms in particular is disturbing. I have a
hard time relating to the nomination of Don Cogman an
ex-advertising vice president/ marketing expert.  Nor can I see
the logic of Maribeth McGinley, a successful commercial artist as
serving the NEA," commented Melody Takata, Director Gen Taiko, a
community based performing arts group promoting children, youth,
and family participation.

"I have a hard time understanding how these people are going to
promote the non-commercialized art of this country.  Is NEA to
serve as promoting money making enterprises, or is it promoting
the many diverse voices of America?" She asked.

Portland, Oregon-based artist Fernanda D'Agostino notes that "In
our region women artists play a very strong role in our 1% for the
arts programs, especially on design teams charged with planning
and designing major public infrastructure projects. One of the
most wonderful things about these teams is the way they bring
together such diverse groups of collaborators to envision the
future direction of our communities. Portland is hailed
throughout the country for it's beauty and "livability." Much of
that beauty and quality of life was first conceived of by teams
that included designers and citizens of every race, gender and
sexual preference. By coming together we have been able to create
'The City That Works,' and is beloved by folks from across the
political spectrum. Placing an openly bigoted person on the board
of the NEA runs counter to everything the arts community at large
believes in, and to the very openness that gives our community its
vibrance."

Multimedia artist Edward Hillel, wrote about the nomination of
Maribeth Walton McGinley: (who has fundraising ties to the
Heritage Foundation) "Seems like an oxymoron to appoint an
official to an organization who had previously advocated its
elimination."

"I have a terrible feeling that these appointments are covert
attempts to change the NEA's mission, if not reopen the argument,
once thought dead and gone, that the arts are the habitat of
subversives and perverts.  I think the arts community needs to
bring this out in the open and stop these nominations," advised
Ellen Rosewall, President, Wisconsin Assembly for Local Arts.

All the responses which Arts Wire Current received from the arts
community are compiled on a web site attached to this issue at
http://www.artswire.org/nca.html

Arts Wire Current will continue to add responses to this page as
they are received, Please send them, along with information
about what you do as an artist, arts administrator, arts writer,
etc. (of any discipline) to [log in to unmask]  Your geographical
location would also be appreciated.

Sources/resources:

"Bush Nominations for the National Council on the Arts Send Mixed
Messages about the President's Support of Diverse Art Forms"
Arts Wire CURRENT --
http://www.artswire.org/current/2002/cur021902.html
February 19, 2002

ARTS COMMUNITY REACTION TO THE PRESIDENT'S NOMINATIONS FOR THE
NATIONAL COUNCIL ON THE ARTS -- http://www.artswire.org/nca.html

NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS -- http://www.arts.gov

NATIONAL COUNCIL ON THE ARTS
http://www.nea.gov/learn/NCA/About_NCA.html
Further information about the National Council on the Arts and
its composition is available here
as well as at http://arts.endow.gov/learn/Legislation.pdf

"The Next NEA Chair?  - Suggestions from the Arts Community"
Arts Wire CURRENT --
http://www.artswire.org/current/2001/cur081401.html
August 14,  2001

please also send them directly to me at [log in to unmask]